Alok Verma Sent On Leave Because He Had Evidence Of An Alleged Extortion Racket Being Run From The PMO?
CBI has phone interceptions and messages of top bureaucrats in the PMO.
PM Narendra Modi (R) and BJP president Amit Shah
The Narendra Modi government at the Centre sacked Central Bureau of investigation (CBI) Director Alok Kumar Verma — who had initiated probe against CBI Special Director, Rakesh Asthana’s role in a bribery and money laundering case — in the wee hours of Wednesday. According to The Wire report, CBI had collected several strong evidences against Asthana, including “highly incriminating” phone intercepts that reach to high levels in the government.
CBI Deputy SP Ajay Kumar Bassi, who was leading the investigation against Asthana, was also transferred to Andaman and Nicobar Islands with immediate effect.
The evidences against top beureaucrats in the PMO led to a panicky state within the government branches, which led to the exit of Verma and other officials, according to the report.
Here are the key highlights:
- CBI has phone interceptions and messages of top bureaucrats in the PMO, who were allegedly interfering in key investigations pertaining to certain corporates.
- The recordings also establish the manner in which top government branches — especially the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) and the PMO — took part in an “extortion racket”, which have serious implications on national security.
- CBI also alleged in a Delhi court on Tuesday, that Rakesh Asthana and DSP Devender Kumar were running an extortion racket in the garb of an investigation, following which, the court ordered Kumar’s police custody for 7 days, The Times of India reported.
- CBI has named a top official of RAW, Punjab cadre IPS officer Samant Goel, in its FIR against Asthana.
- CBI was planning on informing the court about the ‘larger role’ played by Goel in diluting Moin Qureshi case against Asthana.
- The phone intercepts reveal Goel warning a suspect in the Moin Qureshi money laundering and bribery case, Somesh Prasad, from appearing before the CBI.
- The agency was also preparing to frame charges against Goel for running an “extortion racquet”.