Seven Critical Cases That Alok Verma Was Working On When The PMO Sent Him On Leave
Verma has mentioned that he was working on 'sensitive cases' in the petition challenging his removal filed before the SC.
The Narendra Modi-led government at the Centre, in the wee hours of Wednesday, sent Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Director Alok Verma on leave. The latter is said to have collected strong evidence against top bureaucrats in the PMO which allegedly led to his panicked removal.
According to The Indian Express report, Verma was working on seven critical cases, including the NDA government’s purchase of 36 Rafale Jets from France, which resulted in his unprecedented exit.
Verma has mentioned that he was working on ‘sensitive cases’ in the petition challenging his removal filed before the Supreme Court on Wednesday. He said, “The details of many of the cases which have led to the present circumstances are extremely sensitive and cannot with full responsibility be divulged in the present pleadings.” He has also told the court that maintaining CBI’s independence was crucial because “certain investigations into high functionaries do not take the direction that may be desirable to the government.”
Here are the seven crucial cases that Verma was working on:
- Rafale Scam: The verification process of the complaint against irregularities in the Rafale deal filed by former Union Ministers Yashwant Sinha, Arun Shourie and lawyer Prashant Bhushan was on-going. Sources told IE, “a decision was to be taken”.
- CBI has been investigating the involvement of top-level officials in the Medical Council of India (MCI) bribery case, which also implicates retired High Court judge I M Quddusi. Reportedly, the chargesheet in the case had been prepared and was ready for Verma’s signature.
- The corruption in medical admissions case against Justice S N Shukla of Allahabad High Court, following which he was sent on leave. The case had been deemed as fit for investigation and a preliminary enquiry had been prepared which was awaiting Verma’s signature.
- CBI was also looking into BJP MP Subramanian Swamy’s letters to the CBI, complaining against Finance and Revenue Secretary Hasmukh Adhia.
- CBI is investigating the alleged role of IAS officer Bhaskar Khulbe in coal mines allocation. Khulbe is Secretary to Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- CBI found an alleged pay-off list and Rs 3 crore in cash when it raided a Delhi-based middleman in the first week of October. CBI believes he was involved in bribing politicians and officials for “senior Public Sector Unit appointments”.
- Investigation in the Sandesara and Sterling Biotech case was near completion. The alleged involvement of CBI Special Director Rakesh Asthana was being probed.