CINTAA To Send Show-cause Notice To Alok Nath Following Allegations Of Rape
Vinta Nanda had accused Nath of “brutalising” her in her own house.
The impact of India’s #MeToo campaign continues to intensify with more women speaking up against sexual predators in the media industry. After writer-producer Vinta Nanda accused actor Alok Nath of raping her almost two decades ago, the Cine and TV Artists Association (CINTAA) has said that it will issue a notice for his stand on the allegations.
Actor Sushant Singh, a CINTAA official, tweeted that a show-cause notice will be sent to Alok Nath and that the actress has full support from the cinema body.
Dear @vintananda I am so so sorry. As @CintaaOfficial a show-cause Notice will be sent to @aloknath first thing in the mrng, why he shudnt b expld. Unfortunately we’ve to follow the due process. I urge u to file a complaint against this vile creature, we extend u full support.
— sushant singh (@sushant_says) October 8, 2018
On Monday, Nanda had accused Nath of “brutalising” her in her own house, while she was producing TV series Tara with Nath as the lead actor.
One night, when Nanda was travelling back to her house from a party, she was accosted by a man who was driving his own car. “He asked me to sit in it and said he would drop me home. I trusted him and sat in his car. I have faint memory after that. I can remember more liquor being poured into my mouth and I remember being violated endlessly. When I woke up the next afternoon, I was in pain. I hadn’t just been raped, I was taken to my own house and had been brutalised,” Nanda wrote in a Facebook post.
Several Indian women have now publicly spoken about the sexual harassment they were subjected to by ‘reputed and powerful’ men in the media industry. Author Kiran Nagarkar, retired judge Kolse Patil, singer Kailash Kher and cultural critic Sadanand Menon, and author Chetan Bhagat are some of the men who have been outed as ‘habitual’ predators.