Jehanabad Viral Video: 6 Men Held For Molesting Woman, Shooting Video Of The Act
Five reasons why the Jehanabad incident forces us to hang our heads in shame.
On a day, a BJP leader suspected of supporting people who were defending the Kathua rape accused was made a minister in the J&K government, a video has gone viral which shows a helpless girl being molested by six young men in Jehanabad in Bihar. There may not be a direct link between the two cases. But Kathua MLA Rajiv Jasrotia’s promotion and the insensitive and cruel treatment meted out to the Jehanabad girl feel like subplots of the same story. Here are five reasons why the Jehanabad incident forces us to hang our heads in shame:
1. The police have claimed that the six men seen molesting a girl in Jehanabad have been arrested. Two more attackers seen in the clip are still missing, the NDTV has reported.
2. Senior IPS officer Nayyar Hasnain Khan has formed a special team to investigate the video, NDTV has reported.
3. “The girl is seen in the footage helplessly fighting her attackers, who are heard laughing and jeering while dragging her clothes off. One of them can be seen lifting her off her feet as she tries to kick him and free herself. No one could be seen trying to stop the group, including the person who took the video,” the NDTV report says.
4. The police have reportedly charged the accused under the stringent Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act. The police are also carrying out door-to-door searches in the neighbourhood and talking to villagers to identify the rest of the attackers, NDTV said. The girl and her family are also being counselled, police sources said.
5. The mobile phone with which the video was shot has reportedly been recovered. “Most of the attackers are teenagers,” the police told NDTV. “A motorcycle belonging to one of them, which was also seen in the video, was a vital clue.”