MEA Springs To Nirav Modi’s Defence, Says He Could Travel Because Passport Was Not Physically Cancelled
Nirav Modi never held more than one passport.
The Ministry of External Affairs on Thursday revealed that absconding diamond jewellery designer Nirav Modi was able to travel across the globe because his passport was not “physically cancelled”. The Ministry indicated that “physical” cancellation of the passport document is necessary for the revocation to be fully enforced.
MEA spokesperson Raveesh Kumar stated the following points in an official briefing:
- Modi never held more than one passport.
- Modi was issued a fresh passport only after his previous passport was physically collected and cancelled.
- Even a revoked passport could be used to travel since it has not been “physically cancelled”. Modi exploited these loopholes.
- All Indian missions were informed about Modi’s passport revocation in February.
- MEA has written to Belgium, France, and the U.K. asking them to help the ministry locate the precise location of fugitive Modi. They have also asked these selective countries to deny entry to Modi inside their territories.
- MEA has not received any extradition request for Modi by the agencies involved in the investigation.